- Title: ROTOR
- Date: 18th August 2011
- Summary: C-Type print, 48 x 60 inches Large format colour transparency on light box Large format transparency, 5 x 4 inches on light box Alexandra Hughes responded to The Score with two works, Studio Interval and Interval. Studio Interval is comprised of two large format colour transparencies which are shown in lightboxes. Hughes' photographic work explores ideas of cyclical repetition, stasis and change. She experiments with both form and process; recording specific subjects and spaces in time, whilst considering the photographic film as a material and surface.
- Work: Interval
- Artist: Alexandra Hughes
- Analysis: 'The Score shows separate dancers synchronised, making complex formations, continually in flux, yet perfectly contained. What surprised me was the differing speed required between each dancer to maintain a shared outcome; a straight line, whilst walking in a circle.
My work started at this point. I thought of the circular motion and the surface occupied. I thought of time change and time lapse. My surface is the photographic film and the printed image, and the steps are the moments of exposure. Within the photograph the divisions are intervals of time created through an internal mask placed between the lens and the film. The rotations of the dancers and mask, further inspired thoughts of planetary orbits, sun dials, and other representations of time, as changing yet repetitive rhythmic formations' (Alexandra Hughes).
For more artist information click here http://www.alexandrahughes.co.uk
- Production Date Original: 2010
- Production Date - SDD: 18th August 2011
- Venue: Siobhan Davies Studios, London