- Title: ROTOR
- Date: 18th August 2011
- Summary: Matteo Fargion pursues his love of rhythm, counterpoint and the absurd. In Songbook, space takes a back seat and time takes over. Four dancers, stationed in a row behind their music stands like opera singers at a rehearsal, make their separate perilous journeys through a 33 page solo score for too many words, sounds and movements.
- Work: Songbook
- Artist: Matteo Fargion, Andrea Buckley, Lindsey Butcher, Annie Lok, Charlie Morrissey
- Analysis: 'I wrote the whole score for Songbook sitting at my desk, before setting foot into the studio. Here are some of the performance notes I gave to the dancers on the first day:
The overall structure is made up of the following numerical sequence:
5 2 1 2 11 2 1 3 3 1 2 ( = 33 )
The score has 33 pages . It is subdivided into 11 sections with the above proportions.
Each page consists of 33 squares, each representing a beat.
Each beat lasts 1 second.
The material for each page consists of 2 words, 3 sounds, 4 movements. There are exceptions.
Use of the score in performance is encouraged.
Improvisation is discouraged and the material should be set'
- Production Date Original: 2010
- Production Date - SDD: 18th August 2011
- Venue: Siobhan Davies Studios, London